January 13, 2009

What becomes a Martian most?

In packing for our post-operation mini-tour of Provence, I considered the fact that my head might be sensitive after the operation. An understatement, but what did I know! So I tried to pack blouses and sweaters that buttoned from the front rather than pulled down from the top. I did include one grey jersey pullover because it had a large opening, and that I used almost every day. It is the very antithesis of a fashion statement, but is warm, comfortable, and practical. In retrospect, the little green sweater was the major space waster because it has a small opening for the head and no buttons. It's a bit of a tug to pull on under normal circumstances. Under the circumstances in which I found myself, I never touched it.

Thinking that we might wind up in a nice restaurant one night or two, I included one long black skirt, stockings and dress shoes. These were useless items. We did eat in some nice places, but nothing that couldn't be handled with a pair of pants and my cashmere hounds-tooth jacket. Anyway, who cares what a Martian wears?